07 March 2015

What we all long for

I'm tired of ephemeral joy.
I want long term happiness.
I'm tired of fleeting friendship.
Won't you stay with me longer?
We could try, really try,
to hold together
past goodbye.
And we'd succeed, too,
if you cared as much as I do.
I'm tired of callous hello's
when I know your small talk
is meaningless chatter to fill the awkward air.

I asked a girl about her day yesterday.
Really asked,
and looked at her like I cared,
because I did.
And she did a double take
and laughed.
She wasn't expecting that I guess.
What people want
and what I long for 
is substance.

And fullness.
For life to be brimming.
Moments to be teetering.
Laughter to be embarrassing
as one snorts uncontrollably.
The rain to be pouring.
Tea to be piping.
And sunshine to be blinding
as one steps out the door.
This is what we all long for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave love in the form of comments and compliments (I prefer the latter)!