26 June 2014

The Problem with Summer

I have a problem with the way people treat summer.

And, believe me, this has been me. I'm not trying to judge; I'm just trying to bring something to the light.

Summer, to some, is a vacation, a time to have fun, a time to forget about life and its problems, a time to go on adventures with friends, a time to forget about the world, and basically a time to fulfill our need for affection and fun.

Summer can be all of these things. And there is nothing wrong with that. We all need to recoup every once in awhile.

The problem arises when we forget that summer can be more than this.

Let's think of summer as a season of building relationships, not as having fun with friends. That way, both people are being benefitted. There may be someone around you that is in pain in this season of fun. Just look around you. Comfort them.

Let's think of summer as a time to confront our problems and fears. Instead of pushing them beneath the surface so that we can deal with them in fall, let's face them. Why is this a problem? Why are you afraid? Why are you troubled? Let's overcome. Summer is the perfect time to break and rebuild. Rebuild yourself.

Let's think of summer as a time to understand the world, instead of forgetting about its problems. We may be content and happy in our own situation. We may think our problems are enough; why should we think about the pain of the world, too? But as we sit down to watch the next World Cup game, there is a person in Iraq that is scared for their life. I realize that I am coming across very guilt-trippy, but oh well. Enjoying ourselves is not bad. I'm not saying to forego your joy and the pleasures of life in order to feel the pain of others. I'm just saying that we should never forget that we're living in a world beyond ourselves. Let's think about and pray for others. Let's not forget that we are but one in a world of billions. Each person has their own difficulties and problems. I'm not trying to minimize your own situation; I want to remind you, and myself, to not become indifferent. It's easy to forget that we live in a global world.

Let's think of summer as a time that can be spent fulfilling the needs of others, instead of our own. I think that summer has become selfish. Let's strive to benefit others, as well as ourselves.

Let's think of summer as a time to grow intellectually, instead of a time to store up what we have learned in three other seasons. I have met many who spend three months of their life learning nothing. And I think there is something sad about that. There are so many ways to learn! If you are a student, you don't need a class. Knowledge is literally at your fingertips when you're on the computer. It is crazy how much knowledge is out there waiting to be touched, yet remains gathering dust.

Let's think of summer as a season of flourishing in our relationship with Christ. Have you heard the phrase "A Sunday well spent, brings a week of content."? Well, I think that a summer well spent, can probably bring a year of content as well. Summer is this time where people, particularly students, have more down time. Think of all the ways that we can grow spiritually! Let's not neglect Christ this season. Let's place our thoughts on Him and submit to the Spirit. Amazing things will happen!

These are some of the things that have been going through my mind.

And please don't misunderstand and think that I do and think all these things. I don't. I'm a work in progress, too. I'm trying to make the most of my summer, like so many others.

I just wanted to share some thoughts that have been challenging me lately, with the hope that they may challenge you, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave love in the form of comments and compliments (I prefer the latter)!